Sunday, January 6, 2019

January 1, 2019

Yep, it's me. Yes, it's been a long long time since I posted on this blog. In fact, I'm surprised it's still here! I haven't posted anything in about 18 months. The time sure flies when you're doing nothing creative or interesting. I have been floundering in some ways, flourishing in others. More floundering than the other I will freely admit.

I have been really procrastinating making any kind of concrete goals this year, and that sort of bums me out, because most years I create and hone and fine tune my goals for at least a couple of weeks before THE BIG DAY (all caps in my head...starting a new year is a big deal to me). I love that process...usually. Perhaps this year is different because I've already been working on several good habits the last few years, and it feels slightly redundant to make goals that I'm already pursuing. Perhaps it's the post-holiday exhaustion blahs. Maybe I'm just feeling apathetic toward improvement in general (not that I don't recognize the need for it...as I've stated elsewhere, I know I'm a work in progress). And it could be that due to impending changes in our household in the next several months, I just don't want to think about anything deep (I've always struggled with major change, it is really gut-wrenching for me...I normally don't handle it well and feel totally overwhelmed/stressed/exhausted).

Whatever the reason, I am not feeling particularly ambitious about myself or goal-setting this year. But I slogged through the mire in my mind and have come up with some worthwhile things to work toward. Now if I can just state them coherently....

The following SEVEN areas of my life I have adopted from The Slight Edge. They are placed in the order that the book puts them in, and do not reflect their priority order in my life. I am working to be a well-rounded, content, loving, generous, wise Christian who is in relatively good health physically, mentally, spiritually. I will list a goal, then one or two (or three) daily habits to help me achieve it.

HEALTH -

Since I'm turning 60 this year, I need to make my physical health a major priority. I still struggle toward losing 50 pounds to complete a vow I made to myself waaaaaaay back in 2009. 40 to go...
Small daily habits - clean fast at least 16 hours per day, 15 minutes of some type of exercise, lots of water!

HAPPINESS -

Keeping in mind that service to others helps foster happiness and contentment, I will work to incorporate "others" into more than one of my areas. But I'm especially working on the fruits of the Spirit in Galatians 5.
Small daily habits - write three things I'm thankful for in my journal, conscious act of kindness toward someone other than family (I can always find an extra kindness to show someone where I work, either a customer or coworker)

RELATIONSHIPS -

I want to continue working on a close relationship with my physical and spiritual families. Having brethren into our home on a regular basis is important to me.
Small daily habits - write a note to someone, either mail, email, or text - 5 people per week (this includes some to physical family members), do a household chore to help keep our home inviting and "company ready", invite a different family from church over for a meal at least once a month

SPIRITUAL/PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT -

Since this is the most important category for me, it will necessarily have the most good habits to work toward, the most time invested and the most daily things to do. The only concrete goal is to read the whole Bible in a year.
Small daily habits - read three chapters in the Bible, work on memory verses (using Scripture Typer app), pray at least twice a day, do Lumosity (another app) brain games and word puzzles, read at least 10 pages of an uplifting or educational or helpful book

FINANCES - 

Our whole family is planning a Disneyland vacation in the fall of 2019, so I'm saving $100 per month by purchasing stock from my paychecks. I'm also going to save $200 from each bonus check this year (3). I don't know if that will be enough, but if not we'll keep planning for next year!

CAREER -

I'm working toward retirement in 5 years (hopefully, if all goes well...Lord willing), and I plan to simplify and downsize my "stuff" during the next year. Since I'm not much of a pack rat, that shouldn't be too painful or daunting.
Small daily habits - Do my best at work and at home, sort through stuff in every room and the dungeon (basement storage area) a little every day (just 5 minutes will make a dent quickly) and donate (or sell) at least one box/bag per week, plus at least one filled trash bag per week

POSITIVE IMPACT ON THE WORLD - 

I'm not always sure what this looks like. I do small things like recycling and reusing things. I donate a lot more used things than I sell, I give to charities on a regular basis that I believe are worthwhile (and usually local, benefiting people here in the Boise area). I'm always on the lookout for ways to help, especially brethren that have a need. And I'm open to suggestions....

PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE ARE NO ARTISTIC/CREATIVE GOALS IN THIS LIST, AS IS MY CUSTOM. Recently I have done a lot of soul-searching and come to the painful conclusion that setting big lofty artistic goals and having major projects is not practical at this time in my life, and only puts undue pressure on myself, causing so much unnecessary stress. I have so many things that I want to do, want to pursue, but my attention and my care are very much needed elsewhere, especially in my home, for my family. So I will be creative when there is spare time and when the mood strikes, and we'll keep it loose and stress-free (my son and I have set up an "art date" once a week just to keep me doing something). Those big ideas and projects are mostly written down and they're not going anywhere. Lord willing, they'll be there in a few short years, when my attention is not quite so in demand. Time. Time is very precious and every moment needs to count and be used with gratitude, as we "older" folks learn with each swiftly passing year. I waste and carelessly toss aside too much of it, and I need to use it more wisely....and for others.

So there it is. That's my list, my goals, my daily habits. Make of it what you will, at least I finally finished this post....and it's only January 6!

4 comments:

  1. Nice to see you writing again. Good goals. Simple steps. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this. You inspire me to get busy with some of the long-put-off things I want to do. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Elaine Garris. I didn't realize my comment would be published as Unknown.

      Delete
  3. Annie: I love to read your stuff. You’re such a wonderful woman — just like the young woman I knew in high school. I wish you well this year. I hope you reach all your goals. I love “the small daily habits” part. Seems to be easier to accomplish than the impersonal term “action steps.”
    My sons went skydiving with me this year for my 60th bday. Then during Christmas they were all throwing out ideas for my bucket list that we all can do together! I think this one thing (their interest in helping me reach my goals) is the absolute greatest thing I have “achieved.” And that in spite of my very flawed job as a mother.
    Love you still, sister!
    Teri

    ReplyDelete