Friday, July 26, 2013

Retail Manners #6

Say "hello" before you make a request. When I'm walking through the store (usually on my way to my break or to clock out), I am often stopped by people asking where something is. In fact, I will stop and ask someone if they need help when they have a puzzled or lost look on their face. But here's the thing. I am happy to help you find your "whatzit", but can't you take that little moment to greet me first? Almost every single time (and I mean that literally), people just walk up and ask their question, often not even very politely. "Hello, do you work here?" "Hello, can I ask you a question?" "Hello, I'm having trouble finding -----, could you help me?" That is just not that difficult to add. I'll admit it, I have a tendency to use what I call "aggressive friendliness". They walk up and ask their question, and before I answer, I say with a big ole' grin, "Hi, how are you today?" Sometimes, people actually get it and look a little sheepish and reply in kind, but most don't....they just kind of grunt and wait impatiently for my help. Please include a greeting with your request....it really doesn't take a second, it's friendly, and it encourages us to feel more helpful!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Ann. This is a good reminder.

    I'm often guilty of not beginning with a greeting (though I always smile, ask politely and say thank you), but I think it's because I so often see distraction, annoyance or simple busyness on an employee's face, and I only want to "bug" them for the shortest time possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand how you feel, and I agree that there are plenty of grumpy or just overworked workers out there. And that's part of good manners, to actually try and make THEIR day just a bit better. But knowing you, I am sure you do that anyway!!

    ReplyDelete